Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Let the training begin

With each new year, I pick an event or two to train for. Having a goal or two, serves a couple of purposes. First, having something marked on my calendar motivates me to get off my arse and move....especially on those days, and there are many, when I'd rather plunk down on the sofa and do nothing.

Plus, training helps keep me in shape. I am not getting any younger, metabolism is not getting any faster.

I do like the challenge of pushing beyond my comfort zone and competing against myself.

I'm not much competition for the rest of the field as I am a slow runner. A mom pushing a stroller sailed by me in a 5k!

I've a half marathon on June 28th that I'll be prepping for. I found a 17 week training program that I'll start in March.

I'm also signed up for a sprint triathlon in July. This is an all women's event in Philly. I did the duathlon two years ago and am ready to bump it up a notch. Here's Val's post about her experience.

I'm a slower swimmer then runner. I've terrible form/technique and am scared to death of swimming in open water. Other than that, I've no worries...yup none at all.

Training programs run anywhere from 12 - 16 weeks so there will be some overlap. I need to start working on building some swimming endurance. This will start next month...sigh.

I had a lesson with a swim coach last year and will try to hook up with him again. He taught me some drills to help refine my so called technique and up my speed. Problem is, I've only one speed. I'm confident that I will be the last person out of the water.

4 comments:

  1. I'm all for"plunking down!" as you say.
    I LOVE that, seriously.
    I could spend the rest of my life just plunking down & spreading out (in more ways than one!...)
    But alas- trudging to the gym is about ALL I can push myself to do - that for me is a marathon in itself.
    What you do is truly admirable.
    Go Linda! Go Linda! Go Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also in awe! I've always really wanted to do a triathlon but I've never had the nerve to actually start training. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's follow the 'Cheering Section' progression:

    You will cheer on Mt. Everest climbers from your comfy chair

    I will cheer on Mt. Everest climbers and half marathon etc. participants (like you) from my comfy chair

    Now, who will cheer me on when I walk from the front of the house to the curb to take the trash out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Good luck and happy training!

    ReplyDelete