Sunday, November 15, 2009

Catching up

I'm back after how many months? I've no excuse for not blogging other than life getting in the way! Things that have been keeping me busy in no particular order....work, classes, volunteer work, marathon training and my conversion to Judaism.

Seems like any free time I have is spent reading, studying, or falling asleep on the sofa!

The last few months I've been training for the Disney Marathon and have till January 10th to get ready for the big event. My longest run has been 13 miles and at this point I can't imagine tacking on another 13. All I can say is that I am thankful for my iPod, audiobooks & podcasts!!

I've just recently taken up digital photography. I was always a point and shoot gal and was never displeased with the pictures but not entirely pleased either.

About 3 weeks ago I picked up my very first DSLR camera and was instantly hooked. I ended up walking out of the shop with A Nikon 3000, camera bag, lens filters, SD cards and of course I had to get a zoom lens!!

I've since taken a couple of classes to learn the basics. My hope is to one day moving beyond "auto" and actually control the camera. I am truly a newbie and am just trying to absorb all that I can so I can create some half way decent photos.

I think I'll start posting some pictures to my blog to track my photo journey. The first is a photo I took after my run in Westport. I ran past these kayaks and knew I had to get back to snap a picture. The colors probably aren't as bright as they could be. Not even sure about the compostion but it's a start!

I've a growing list of pictures I want to take. Can't wait to get up and running!!

3 comments:

  1. I like the kayak pic! I wanted the nikon 90 till I saaw you cant see the image in the lcd until after the pic is snapped..
    So then I heard about the 5000 & the 3000! So what made you go for the 3000 over the 5000.
    Im a great photographer, but its been awhils since my slr broke
    Do you see the image of the pic youre gona take in the lcd bEFORE you snap??
    Great to hear from you again!!
    congrats on getting your old cat back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kmae!
    No, you can't see the image. I don't need the movie function so opted to save a few bucks. I haven't been disappointed but this is my first DSLR so I've nothing to compare it to. I think the Canon Rebel XSI has the live view function. May be worth looking into!
    So you're a photographer??!! Are your pics posted anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I used to do huge photo albums every xmas for Doris & 10 of her main family members. It was very expensive, even thou I copied all the photos on copiers. There were always 200 8x10 photos of all we did at family events ea year & they were fabulous bcaus it cronicled all the grandkids growing up! Everybody treasures them. But I had to stop about 3 years ago because I just didnt have any money.It cost me about $1500 ea year... anyway, I need the lcd because i wear glasses & to put the camera up to my eye is hard...
    I know you're gona love this camera.. I only want a nikon bcaus Ive had others all these yrs & always wished for a nikon... which is what my Daddy always used.. He taught me everything I know.

    ReplyDelete